Historic Sites of Manitoba: Floral School No. 397 (Municipality of Louise)
The Floral School District was established formally in 1884. A school building was erected at NE17-4-11W in the Rural Municipality of Louise. The initial log school building was replaced by a brick veneer building on a stone foundation in 1902. It closed in 1966 and the remaining students went to Pilot Mound Consolidated School No. 105. The district was dissolved in 1967. The school building was moved to a private home site (at N49.27868, W98.88576) where it was renovated into a garage and workshop. A monument including the building’s stairs, erected at the former school site in 1971, commemorates it.
Among the teachers of Floral School were F. W. Falfour (1885), Ardith Mae Hunter, and Evelyn Priscilla Short Grassick (1936-1937, 1961-1964, mother of Edmund Grassick).
Chronicles of Our Heritage by the People of Snowflake: Pioneer Stories from Clearwater, Crystal City and Pilot Mound, 1970. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.S62 Chr]
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Obituary [Evelyn Priscilla Grassick], Winnipeg Free Press, 20 February 2010.
Obituary [Ardith Mae Alexander], Winnipeg Free Press, 13 May 2017.
We thank Roland Desrochers for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 5 December 2021