Historic Sites of Manitoba: Aesop School No. 2132 (Rosetown, RM of Rhineland)
The Aesop School District was established in July 1925 and a one-room schoolhouse operated in the village of Rosetown (SE23-1-3W) in the Rural Municipality of Rhineland. In 1958, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Kronsthal Consolidated School District. The former school building was moved to Gretna where it was used for a time as a classroom at the Mennonite Collegiate Institute. It was later moved to Altona where it is the maintenance shed in the local park. The former teacherage was renovated into a private residence at the original site.
Among the teachers who worked at Aesop School was David Winter.
Altona West topographic map, 62H/4 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
We thank Frank Kehler for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 7 May 2014
Back to top of page