Historic Sites of Manitoba: Gretna Normal School / Mennonite Collegiate Institute (Gretna, Municipality of Rhineland)
Known as the Gretna Normal School when it opened in Gretna in 1889, its curriculum was designed to train teachers for primary and secondary schools in the Mennonite areas of southern Manitoba. In addition, many people attended the school for upgrading or high school studies. Later, it became the Mennonite Collegiate Institute, as it is known today. A new MCI facility was opened officially on 27 February 1947.
Photos & Coordinates
Black & Gold, Gretna School, 1937. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5649.G74 Gre]
“New Mennonite Collegiate opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 February 1947, page 9.
“Die Schule Muss Sein,” A History of the Mennonite Collegiate Institute by Gerhard J. Ens, Gretna: Mennonite Collegiate Institute, 1990.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 December 2019