Memorable Manitobans: William G. Willoughby (1856-1952)
Born at Farmersville, Canada West (now Ontario) on 25 March 1856, he moved with his family to Almonte, Ontario in 1861. On 14 February 1882, he married Frances Mary Shearn (1857-1933) then, in March 1882, he came to Manitoba and worked as a stone mason at Killarney. He built a temporary shelter there then met his wife at Brandon and brought her back. They built a large home and lived there for five years. They moved to Winnipeg in 1903 where he purchased an apartment block on Ellice Avenue known as the Pembina Block. He later built the Winona Court (1909) and Wauneta Block (1912), living in the former until his death, which occurred on 20 August 1952. He was buried in the Chapel Lawn Memorial Gardens.
Death registration [Frances Mary Willoughby], Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“W. G. Willoughby celebrates his 90th birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 March 1946, page 10.
“W. G. Willoughby, pioneer resident, marks 91st birthday,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 March 1947, page 11.
“W. G. Willoughby, covered wagon pioneer, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 August 1952, page 10.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2022