Memorable Manitobans: Victor Joseph Houston Sharpe (1918-2009)
Born at Brandon, Manitoba on 18 December 1918, son of Herbert S. Sharpe and Agnes Houston, he was educated at Park School, Earl Oxford School, Brandon Collegiate, Brandon College (BA, 1940), and the University of Manitoba (MD). Upon receipt of his medical degree, Sharpe enlisted in the Royal Canadian Army Medical Corps and served most of his time at Camp Borden near Barrie, Ontario.
In 1946, he joined his father in practice at the Bigelow Clinic in Brandon. In 1952, he did a residency in internal medicine at Sunnybrook Hospital after which he rejoined the Bigelow Clinic. In the 1960s he trained in nuclear medicine then instigated the establishment of the Nuclear Medicine Department at the Brandon General Hospital. He was the Director of that department until his retirement, which occurred around 1989. He also served a term as Head of the Intensive Care Unit.
After retirement, Sharpe helped to establish a recycling program for the City of Brandon. He served as President of the Brandon University Alumni Association and received a Brandon University Alumni Association Distinguished Service Award, plus that association’s Order of the Sheaf. In 1990, he was inducted into the Manitoba Order of the Buffalo Hunt in recognition of his community service to western Manitoba. In 2003, he was given an honorary doctorate by Brandon University.
He died at Brandon on 5 July 2009 and was buried in the Brandon Municipal Cemetery.
Obituary, Brandon Sun, July 2009.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 November 2012
Back to top of page