Memorable Manitobans: Caroline Irene McLeod Queen (1906-1993)
Born in Ontario, possibly at Port Arthur [now Thunder Bay], on 23 February 1906, daughter of Jessie Waldie Conquergood (1869-1947) and Murdock Lauglau McLeod (1860-1918, later Superintendent of the Orpheum Theatre), she moved with her family to Winnipeg and grew up at 502 Spence Street (1911). She attended St. Mary’s Academy and graduated from the Central Normal School, then she taught at Corrall School (1927) and was a teacher (1927-1935) and Principal (1928-1935) at Wentworth School. She also taught in Alberta. On 28 June 1941, she married John Queen (1910-1960, son of John Queen) at St. Andrew’s Presbyterian Church in Ottawa, Ontario. They later lived at Spirit River, Alberta (1947) and in the United States. She died at Central Park Lodge on 3 September 1993 and was buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
1911 Canada census, Library and Archives Canada.
Death registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“M. M’Leod dead,” Manitoba Free Press, 27 February 1918, page 29.
Obituary [Mrs. Murdock L. McLeod],” Winnipeg Free Press, 15 March 1947, page 9.
“Mrs. Conquergood entertains Miss Caroline McLeod,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 June 1941, page 10.
“Pretty tea is honor for bride elect,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 June 1941, page 8.
“Caroline McLeod becomes bride of John Queen, Jr., in Ceremony in Ottawa,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 June 1941, page 13.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 7 September 1993, page D10.
Elmwood Cemetery burial transcriptions, FindAGrave.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 30 April 2021