Historic Sites of Manitoba: Corrall School No. 1382 (RM of Springfield)
The Corrall School District was organized formally in March 1906 but a school did not open until November 1911, in a wood frame building at SW35-11-8E in the Rural Municipality of Springfield. It was later replaced and the original school was sold to a local Hutterite colony. In 1968, the school closed and the building was renovated into a private residence.
Some of the teachers who taught at Corrall School included Mildred Carter, Miss Holmes, Edward Bathgate, Minnie McCrea, Mrs. Hammond, Miss McCleod, Winona Hockley, Mr. Lytton, Ruby Black, Maybelle Fowler, Margaret McCarter, Frances Kury, Stephanie Prucyk, and Paul Moros.
Vivian West topographic map, 62H/16, Edition 2, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Springfield: 1st Rural Municipality in Manitoba, 1873-1973 by Dugald Women’s Institute, 1974.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 14 August 2015
Back to top of page