Memorable Manitobans: Frederick Pugh (c1875-1948)
Born at Shropshire, England on 8 February 1877, he came to Canada in 1881 with his family. Initially settling in Toronto, the T. Eaton Company transferred him to Winnipeg after a seven-year period that began in 1898. He developed the Farm News service and made studies of the use of Tyndall stone for the company, eventually retiring in 1938.
Pugh was active in the industrial development board and the agricultural bureau of the Winnipeg Chamber of Commerce. He was also a member of the Minnesota and South Dakota Horticultural societies, board of Rupert’s Land Girls’ School, and the Canadian Club. Additionally, he was an honorary member of the Agricultural Institute of Canada and a life member of King Solomon’s Lodge G.R.C., Toronto. Also a member of the Manitoba Fur Breeders’ association, he raised domestic mink on his ranch, the Woodlands, in Charleswood. He and his wife Charlotte Margaret shared one son, Stewart G., and one daughter, Margaret.
On 14 August 1948 he died at his home, 440 Greenwood Place, in Winnipeg. He was later buried in the Elmwood Cemetery.
1901 Canada census. Automated Genealogy.
“F. Pugh, former department store official, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 16 August 1948. [Manitoba Legislative Library, Biographical scrapbook B10, page 29]
This page was prepared by Sarah Ramsden.
Page revised: 26 December 2021