Memorable Manitobans: Edward “Ed” Peltz (1931-2016)
Farmer, municipal official.
Born at Ladywood on 20 December 1931, son of William and Annie Peltz, his family moved to Smithsville, Ontario when he was 11, then returned to Manitoba in 1946 and settled on a farm near Warren. He took over the farm in the mid-1960s and resided there until his death, retiring from farming in 2005. He served on the executive of the Warren Hockey Club, Warren Recreation Centre Board, and Warren Hall Board. He was Reeve of the Rural Municipality of Woodlands from 1970 to 2001, led local arrangements for Manitoba's centenary in 1970, and was active in the Association of Manitoba Municipalities. He also volunteered with the West Interlake Trading Company, a community organization providing guest services to passengers arriving at Warren via the Prairie Dog Central. Between 1983 and 1984, he played a key role in organizing municipal opposition to extension of French-language services in Manitoba and, in the late 1990s, he spearheaded a campaign among rural municipalities to reject the Meech Lake Accord. He also served on the boards of the Crocus Manor and Rosewood Lodge in Stonewall, ACRE, Woodlands Community Development Corporation, Interlake Natural Gas Project, Oak Park Lodge, Teulon Memorial Hospital, West Interlake Trading Company, and South West District Palliative Care Inc. He was President of the Manitoba Good Roads Association (1998-1999). In 2013, his community service was recognized with a Queen Elizabeth II Diamond Jubilee Medal. He died at Stonewall on 14 October 2016 and was buried in the Warren Cemetery.
Just One Vote: From Jim Walding’s Nomination to Constitutional Defeat by Ian Stewart, Winnipeg: University of Manitoba Press, 2009, page 186.
AMM News Release: Municipal Leaders to Receive Diamond Jubilee Medals, 15 January 2013.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 20 October 2016.
We thank Brian Nedohin for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 8 June 2019
Back to top of page