Memorable Manitobans: Robin Chester Parsons (1890-1947)
Born at McAuley on 8 February 1890, son of John Parsons and Annie Waind, settlers who arrived in the area from Huron County, Ontario in 1880. He was educated at Macgregor and taught school, graduating with a BA from Wesley College in 1913. He articled in law under Stuart R. Laidlaw at Winnipeg. He joined the Canadian Expeditionary Force in February 1916 and saw service with the Strathcona Horse in France from 1917 to the end of the First World War. He returned to Canada and was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1919. He then established a law practice at Treherne, serving as solicitor for the Bank of Commerce and the Rural Municipality of South Norfolk. On 31 December 1919, he married Margaret Gertrude Bodkin (1893-1976) at Napinka. They had three daughters: Frances Parsons (b 1921, wife of J. W. Macintyre), Gwen Marie Parsons (b 1925, wife of Mervin R. Arbuthnott), and Sylvia Beryl Parsons (b 1928, wife of Audrie D. Morrison). He was a member of the AF & AM, Methodist church, and Conservative party. He was a candidate for the Cypress constituency in the 1945 provincial general election. He died at Treherne on 20 December 1947 and was buried in the Bethel Cemetery.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Treherne lawyer funeral today,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 December 1947, page 4.
“Morrison – Parsons,” Winnipeg Free Press, 12 April 1948, page 12.
“Treherne couple wed in Edmonton,” Winnipeg Free Press, 10 January 1951, page 9.
Obituaries and burial transcriptions, Manitoba Genealogical Society.
We thank Sherrianne Talon for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 July 2018