Memorable Manitobans: Norman McNab Moffat (1873-1970)
Born at Carleton Place, Ontario on 12 November 1873, he took one year of architecture at the University of Toronto before working for four years with Toronto architect Henry Simpson. In 1885, a saw mill accident left him with no fingers on his right hand but he continued to work, in New York and later in Toronto. He moved to Winnipeg in 1903 and became a draftsman for J. H. G. Russell. In 1910, he work briefly as a partner with D. W. F. Nichols. In 1911-1912, he was a draftsman for the construction firm of Carter-Halls-Aldinger Limited.
During the First World War, he farmed with a brother in Saskatchewan and, from 1919 to 1925, was employed as an architect by the Union Bank of Canada. He became Manitoba District architect for the Royal Bank of Canada when it absorbed the Union Bank in 1925. In 1933, he moved to Renfrew, Ontario where he continued to practice.
He died at Renfrew on 7 March 1970. Library and Archives of Canada has a collection of his diaries, architectural drawings, notebooks, and specifications.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
Ludlow Court Apartments (141 River Avenue), City of Winnipeg Historical Buildings Committee, April 2005.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 August 2015
Back to top of page