Memorable Manitobans: Russell Alex Michaluk (1925-1997)
Born at Ethelbert on 16 April 1925, son of Alexander Michaluk (-?) and Mary Peristy (?-?), he was educated at Doroshenko School and helped to operate the family farm. In 1929, they moved to the Gilbert Plains district where he farmed for 42 years, retiring in 1981. He also served as Justice of the Peace, Magistrate, and Trustee for the Intermountain School Division for Strathcona School and Brickburn School.
On 13 May 1952, he married Anne Demchuk at the Greek Catholic Church in Dauphin, and had six children. He was a member of the Sacred Heart Parish in Gilbert Plains, Parish Council President, the Manitoba Fish and Game Association, and Knights of Columbus Dauphin Council 3497 honourary life member, as well as board member of the Gilbert Plains Curling Club, Parkland Tourism Board, Gilbert Plains Country Club, and Chairman of the Gilbert Plains Hospital Board, Seniors Housing Authority, and Commercial Bowling League. He collected coins, stamps, Native artifacts, and was a Junior Rifle Instructor. He was the recipient of Meritorious Service Awards from the Gilbert Plains Health Centre, Volunteer Ambulance Service, and Manitoba Pool Elevators.
He died 27 May 1997 after a brief bout with cancer and was buried in the Sacred Heart Ukrainian Catholic Church parish cemetery at Gilbert Plains.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Gilbert Plains pair married at Dauphin,” Winnipeg Free Press, 26 May 1952, page 15.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, June 1994, page 14.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 15 March 2014
Back to top of page