Historic Sites of Manitoba: Strathcona School No. 1019 (Municipality of Gilbert Plains)
The Strathcona School District was organized in May 1899 and, as of 1900, a one-room schoolhouse operated at NE14-24-23W in what is now the Municipality of Gilbert Plains. The school closed in 1967 and its area became part of the Intermountain School Division. The former school building was sold and moved to a farm where it was converted into a blacksmith shop. In June 2006, a commemorative sign was erected at the site.
Among the teachers of Strathcona School was Miss Verna Storey (1930s).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
The School District of Pozir #2206 by the Pozir School and District Reunion Committee, April 1998, page 8.
Country Schools of Gilbert Plains by Barry Randell, 2006.
We thank Ed Arndt for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2020