Memorable Manitobans: Henry Meredith (1844-1917)
Agent and broker.
Born in County Sligo, Ireland on 8 July 1844, he came to Canada in the early 1870s and worked in a wholesale dry goods warehouse at Toronto for ten years. In 1883 he came to Manitoba and settled at Brandon where, for the next ten years, he operated a general store in partnership with his nephew R. P. McKim, later establishing the general agency and brokerage business of H. Meredith and Company on the corner of Sixth Street and Rosser Avenue. He was a stockholder in the Great West Life Assurance Company and the Canada Life Assurance Company, and he owned about 3,000 acres of farmland in western Manitoba. He was a Director of the Brandon General Hospital and its President (1903). He died unmarried at Brandon’s Prince Edward Hotel on 4 March 1917 and was buried in the Brandon Cemetery. He is commemorated by Meredith Place, home of the Brandon YWCA, in Brandon.
1901 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Henry Meredith dead,” Manitoba Free Press, 5 March 1917, page 1.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2019
Back to top of page