Memorable Manitobans: Alexander Nugent McPherson (1857-1938)
Born at Kingussie, Invernesshire, Scotland on 19 December 1857, son of Ewen McPherson and Margaret Scott, he came to Canada when a boy, was educated at Kincardine, Ontario, at Brantford High School, the University of Toronto, and the University of Manitoba (First Medalist and Scholarship). He taught school in Ontario and came to Winnipeg in 1881. He was called to Manitoba Bar in 1889. He practised law for many years with H. H. Saunderson and was a director in many financial companies.
In 1923, he was appointed as Judge of the Eastern Judicial District of Manitoba, retiring from the position in 1933. He served as a Senior Examiner with the Law Society of Manitoba, a Senior Examiner in Law at the University of Manitoba, and a Right of Way Solicitor for Attorney-General, Red River Valley Railway. He served on a Royal Commission appointed by the Dominion Government to inquire into the participation in politics of Customs Officers. He was Solicitor for the Winnipeg School Board, formerly Chairman of the School Management Committee.
In 1889, he married Minnie Tait Morgan (1866-1946) and they had four children: Mary Winona McPherson (1890-?), David Ewen McPherson (1891-?), Margaret McPherson (1892-?), and Alexander Reddick Morgan McPherson (1908-?). He was a member of the AF & AM (Past Worshipful Master, Member, Scottish Rite), and Clan Stewart of the Order of Scottish Clans. He had a summer home “Cluny Lodge” on Lake Winnipeg. He was a member of the board for Manitoba College.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Who’s Who in Western Canada: A Biographical Dictionary of Notable Living Men and Women of Western Canada, Volume 1, edited by C. W. Parker, Vancouver: Canadian Press Association, 1911.
Pioneers and Prominent People of Manitoba, Winnipeg: Canadian Publicity Company, 1925.
“Former judge dies, aged 81,” Winnipeg Tribune, 10 November 1938, page 20.
“Retired judge is dead,” Winnipeg Free Press, 11 November 1938.
“Mrs. A. N. McPherson dies in 81st year,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 May 1946.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 20 March 2020