Memorable Manitobans: John Tully McKenzie (1903-1992)
Farmer, community activist.
Born in the Tremaine district near Rapid City in August 1903, he was educated at Tremaine School, Rapid City School, and the University of Manitoba, receiving a Diploma in Agriculture from the latter, in 1923. He taught at Campbellton School for year (1927-1928) then, on 5 July 1930, he married Ethel Marion Budge (?-1977) in the RM of Miniota and they subsequently had four children. They lived in the McKenzie Stone House and operated the original family farm for 30 years. During this period, he was Secretary-Treasurer and Chairman of the Tremaine School District, was an Elder of Hunterville United Church, and was Secretary of the Rapid City Pool Elevator Board, Manitoba Federation of Agriculture, and Rapid City Agricultural Society. He was the founder of the Rapid City 4-H Club and he formed the Rapid City Film Council that made educational films available to local schools and communities.
In 1960, he and his family moved to Brandon where he worked for the next ten years for the Dairy and Poultry Co-Operative, Manitoba Crop Insurance, Manitoba Department of Agriculture, and Department of Indian Affairs. Interested in local history, he was a founding member of the Assiniboine Historical Society and contributed to the opening of Daly House Museum. His wife compiled the book It’s Time to Remember: 1874-1974 for the Tremaine area. He was active on a committee that recognized pioneers of western Manitoba for the 1970 centennial celebrations, and he played a key role in the establishment of the Manitoba Agricultural Hall of Fame.
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Campbellton School, School trustee files, H-14-1-7, E0034, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.
Marriage registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 31 March 1992, page C34.
Nomination text, Manitoba Agricultural Hall of Fame.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 11 January 2016