Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Campbellton School No. 1887 (RM of Mountain)

The Campbellton School District was organized formally in May 1917 and, in the fall of that year, a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at SW29-33-19W in the Rural Municipality of Mountain. The district was dissolved in 1967 and its catchment area became part of the Duck Mountain School Division. The former school building was still standing at the site in the mid-1980s but it is gone now.

Among the teachers of Campbellton School were Harry Howchin (1918-1919), Mrs. C. McEachern (1919), Eric L. Foot (1922), Everitt J. Riddell (1924), Oliver Clayton Bricker (1925), George A. Harris (1926), R. B. Anderson (1926), John Tully McKenzie (1927-1928), William G. Davidson (1928-1929), Robert M. Monroe (1936), Mrs. E. Sarapu (1937), Helen I. McAulay (1937), Gladys E. Ward (1938), Mrs. J. Moody (1939), Frances Delores Doroscuk (1940), Louise Marie Rasmussen (1941), and Lilian Susan Dumaresq (1942).

Campbellton School

Campbellton School (no date) by J. S. Peach
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-3, page 50.

Former Campbellton School building

Former Campbellton School building (circa 1986)
Source: Historic Resources Branch, Public School Buildings Inventory, slide 861.

Former site of Campbellton School

Former site of Campbellton School (June 2016)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N51.86350, W100.13193
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Campbellton School, School trustee files, H-14-1-7, E0034, GR1629, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

We thank Dennis Thompson for providing additional information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 14 April 2019

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.