Memorable Manitobans: Edward Wesley Lowery (1886-1953)
Lawyer, civil servant.
Born at Winnipeg on 24 February 1886, son of Edward Lowery and Christina Elizabeth Maguire (c1858-1890), he attended Machray School, Aberdeen School (1893-?), Norquay School, Winnipeg Collegiate Institute, and Wesley College, graduating from the latter in 1914. He raised money for his education by working as a delivery boy for a wallpaper company, book store clerk, insurance salesman, CPR worker, and real estate agent (with his brother Robert Lowery). He began studies at the Manitoba Law School then, two years later, he interrupted them to enlist in the Canadian Expeditionary Force, rising to the rank of Captain. Returning from military duty in 1919 and completed his legal studies then joined the law firm of Andrews and Andrews.
He practiced law for six years then joined the federal department of revenue as an income tax director, holding the position for over 25 years and overseeing its considerable growth in size. In 1950, he moved to Vancouver, British to become Director General of the federal revenue department there. He retired in 1952.
On 14 May 1913, he married Ethel May Lockwood (1892-1953) at Winnipeg. They had one daughter and one son. He was a member of the Odd Fellows, Canukeena Club, Blackstone Club, National Club of Canada, Rotary Club, and Knox United Church. In 1925, he was an unsuccessful candidate in the federal constituency of Winnipeg North Centre.
He died suddenly at Toronto, Ontario on 22 December 1953, while visiting his daughter.
Birth and marriage registrations, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Attestation papers, Canadian Expeditionary Force, Library and Archives Canada.
“New faces in federal politics,” Manitoba Free Press, 9 October 1925, page 2.
Souvenir Programme, Golden Jubilee, Aberdeen School, 20 November 1942.
Death registration [Ethel May Lowery], British Columbia Vital Statistics.
“E. W. Lowery, ex-tax chief, dies in east,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 December 1953, page 6.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 June 2017
Back to top of page