Historic Sites of Manitoba: Knox Presbyterian Church / Knox United Church (400 Edmonton Street, Winnipeg)
The first Knox Presbyterian Church, built in 1868, was located at the corner of Fort Street and Portage Avenue. The second Knox Presbyterian Church was located at the intersection of Princess Street and Ellice Avenue. The present-day church was constructed at 400 Edmonton Street between 1914 and 1918 on a design by Winnipeg architect J. H. G. Russell. In 1993, a plaque was erected at the site by the Manitoba Heritage Council. On 28 May 2010, a lightning strike broke off one of the four spires from the church’s tower.
Photos & Coordinates
Knox United Church, Manitoba Historic Resources Branch.
“Lightning strike knocks off piece of Knox United tower,” Winnipeg Free Press, 28 May 2010.
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 June 2019
Back to top of page