Memorable Manitobans: John George Karasevich (1910-1981)
Born at Seech on 12 October 1910, son of Martha Maciejowsky, he attended Oakburn School then came to Winnipeg in 1928 where he attended the University of Manitoba and was active in the Ukrainian Students Club. He left the university before graduation to work in real estate, establishing the firm of Standard Investments, and reported on the local Ukrainian community for the Winnipeg Tribune. He then worked for the federal government’s rural rehabilitation program.
In 1935, he married Marie Skibinski and they subsequently had four children. During the Second World War, he enlisted and served in the Royal Winnipeg Rifles, participating in the Normandy Invasion where he was seriously wounded and mentioned in despatches. Following his return to Canada, he helped with the War Bond Drive and served in the Canadian Intelligence Corps. Following his military discharge, he returned to real estate while pursuing legal studies at the University Law School. He was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1951 and joined a law firm headed by J. R. Solomon. He was made a Queen’s Counsel in 1966 and continued in practice until 1978.
Active in the Ukrainian-Canadian community, he was a founder of the Ukrainian Canadian Legion Branch 41 and served on the executive of the Ukrainian Business and Professional Men’s Club. He was on the Welfare Advisory Appeal Board of Manitoba, was legal counsel for the Consistory of the Ukrainian Greek Orthodox Church of Canada, and was a member of the board for St. Andrew’s College at the University of Manitoba.
In recognition of his community service, he received a Distinguished Citizen’s Award from the City of Winnipeg, the Shevchenko Medal from the Ukrainian Canadian Committee, the Canadian Centennial Medal (1967), and the Queen Elizabeth II Silver Jubilee Medal (1977).
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 29 December 1981, page 33.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 12 July 2014
Back to top of page