Memorable Manitobans: Edward Michael Hubicz (1912-1999)
Born at Bidzanour, Poland on 25 September 1912, son of Michael Hubicz and Petronella Wroblonski, he came to Canada in 1913 and was educated at St. John Cantius Parish School, Lord Nelson School, and Isaac Newton School in Winnipeg. In 1929 he attended St. Johns College in St. Jean, Quebec and then entered the Poznan Diocesan Seminary in Poland in 1935, finishing his preparation for the priesthood with a year at St. Augustines Seminary at Toronto, Ontario.
Ordained to the priesthood in July 1939, his 46-year period of active ministry included service as Parochial Vicar at Holy Trinity Church at Sifton (1939), St. John Cantius at Winnipeg (1940-1943), and Pastor at Sts. Peter and Paul at Pine River (1943-1944), Corpus Christi at Winnipegosis (1944-1949), St. Michaels Gimli, Our Lady of the Lake at Winnipeg Beach (1956-1967), and St. John Cantius at Winnipeg (1967-1985). He also served as Chaplain to the Missionary Oblate Sisters of Mary Immaculate; Sisters of St. Benedict and the Sisters of the Holy Names. Other appointments included Vice Chancellor of the Archdiocese of Winnipeg (1951), Chancellor (1952-1956), Director of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine; and Defender of the Bond, Marriage Tribunal (1952-1968). He retired from active ministry in August 1985.
He wrote three books: The History of Our Lady of the Lake Church (1956), Father Joe: A Manitoban Missionary (1958), and Polish Churches in Manitoba (1960).
His articles for the Manitoba Historical Society:
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 20 November 1999.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 6 April 2016
Back to top of page