Memorable Manitobans: Edward Francis Head (1854-1924)
Born at Cork, Ireland on 9 June 1854, he was educated at Trinity College. He articled in civil engineering at London then came to Canada in 1879. He came to Brandon then moved to Minnedosa. By 1889 he was in Portage la Prairie and, in 1893, was in an architectural partnership with J. H. Bossons. It dissolved in early 1894 and he relocated to Rat Portage (now Kenora), Ontario. By 1897, he was working with S. Frank Peters in Winnipeg. This partnership was short-lived and Head practiced on his own until moving to Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario in 1899 where he was the company architect for a pulp and paper company. He went back into private practice in 1902 and returned to Winnipeg sometime after 1910. For the last seven years of his life, he worked in the engineering department of the Canadian National Railway. He retired due to ill health in August 1923.
He and wife M. Dorothy Head (?-?) had eight children, a son and seven daughters, including Dorothy E. Head (1900-?), Kathleen Head (1901-?, daughter-in-law of J. H. Brock), Edward John Head (1905-?), Shelagh Head (1910-?), and Audrey Marguerite Head.
Some of his architectural works in Manitoba included:
1911 Canada census, Automated Genealogy.
Death registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
Obituary, Winnipeg Tribune, 18 December 1924, page 5.
“Brock – Head,” Winnipeg Tribune, 26 September 1927, page 9.
Biographical Dictionary of Architects in Canada, 1800-1950 by Robert G. Hill, Toronto.
This page was prepared by Robert Hill and Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 4 July 2020