Memorable Manitobans: John Gurzon Harvey (1906-1970)
Lawyer, municipal official.
Born at Winnipeg on 29 January 1906, son of John Harvey, he was educated at Wellington School and St. John’s College before enrolling at the University of Manitoba, receiving a BA degree in 1926. Five years later, he received a law degree and was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1931. He practiced law at Winnipeg and Altona as well as operating J. J. Swanson and Company. He was made a Queen’s Counsel in 1956.
He was an elder of Westminster United Church, and a member of the IOOF (North Star Lodge No. 2), Masons (Ancient Landmark Lodge No. 3), and Kiwanis Club. He served 26 years on the Winnipeg City Council, from 1945 to 1970. At the time of his death, he was Chairman of the Civic Public Utilities Committee and a member of the Civic Finance Committee, Civic Pension Board, and the Taxicab Board of Manitoba. He had been acting Mayor and served as Chairman of the Winnipeg Traffic Commission and the Winnipeg Enterprises Corporation. He served on the board of the Winnipeg General Hospital. He was a candidate in the 1949, 1958, 1959, 1962, and 1966 provincial general elections but was defeated each time.
He died at Winnipeg on 24 November 1970 and was buried in the Garry Memorial Park.
Birth registration, Manitoba Vital Statistics.
“Pioneer woman lawyer heads list of nine Manitoba QCs,” Winnipeg Free Press, 31 December 1955, page 15.
“Veteran alderman dies at 64 years,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 November 1970, page 1.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 26 November 1970, page 40.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 29 October 2022