Memorable Manitobans: Alvin Dettler Carscallen (1860-1932)
Born in Lennox County, Ontario on 27 May 1860, son of Craig Carscallen and Catherine Dettler, he attended the Napanee and Belleville high schools, then he entered the Manitoba Medical College, from which he graduated in Spring 1888. He began a practice at Morris, adding a drug store in 1892 that he operated until 1894. He was a physician to the Northern Pacific Railway Company.
In 1894, he joined the medical staff of the Winnipeg General Hospital and served until 1911, being head of the affiliated infection hospital. He then resigned to take the position of Superintendent of the Winnipeg Sanitarium (1911-1919). In poor health, he resigned in 1919 to travel and pursue postgraduate education. He returned to Winnipeg and established the Sunnyside Clinic at 530 Balmoral Street, specializing in the treatment of chronic diseases. He belonged to the AF & AM, AOUW and COF.
The Canadian Album: Men of Canada or Success by Example, Vol. III, Bradley, Garretson & Company, Brantford, Ontario, 1894.
“Sunnyside Clinic head, Dr. A.D. Carscallen, dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 21 April 1932, page 17.
“Dr. Carscallen, resident here 40 years, dead,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 April 1932, page 2.
Page revised: 18 November 2014
Back to top of page