Historic Sites of Manitoba: Manitoba Medical College (770 Bannatyne Avenue, Winnipeg)
The Manitoba Medical College, incorporated in April 1884 as the first such school west of the Great Lakes, was reorganized in 1919 as the Faculty of Medicine of the University of Manitoba. At the entrance to its building, erected in 1922, are plaques commemorating the founders of the college, as well as a plaque listing its graduates and students who lost their lives in the North West Rebellion (1885), South African War / Boer War (1900) and the First World War (1914-1918).
Robert Johnston Blanchard (1853-1928)
Robert George Brett (1851-1929)
Théogène Fafard (c1850-1890)
Alexander Hugh Ferguson (1853-1911)
Robert Buchanan Fergusson (1839-1890)
James Wilford Good (1852-1926)
James Robert Jones (c1852-1916)
James Kerr (?-1911)
Andrew McDiarmid (1854-?)
James Patterson (1841-1925)
William Robert Douglas Sutherland (1849-1909)
James William Whiteford (1847-1888)
David Henry Wilson (1855-1926)
North West Rebellion (1885)
Boer War (1900)
First World War (1914-1918)
Information for this page was provided by The City of Winnipeg’s Planning, Property and Development Department, which acknowledges the contribution of the Government of Manitoba through its Heritage Grants Program.
We thank Jean Paterson for providing a photograph of the names of University graduates and students killed during wartime.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 August 2012
Back to top of page