Memorable Manitobans: Gregory Barrett (1867-1952)
Born at Hamilton, Ontario on 23 November 1867, son of Edward Barrett, brother of L. R. Barrett, he came to Winnipeg in 1882 and finished his education in private schools of the city. He studied law in the firm of Campbell and Crawford and was called to the Manitoba Bar in 1888. He opened a law practice at Carberry. He also served as a director of the Arabian Medicine Company of Carberry and the Carberry Turf Club, and he owned a 320-acre farm near town. In 1916 he was appointed County Court Judge for the Central Judicial District, based at Portage la Prairie, in which position he served until 1943. In 1935 he was elevated to a judgeship on the Court of King’s Bench.
In 1900, he married Margaret Bloomfield of England. She died in 1900, leaving two children: Francis Gregory Barrett (b 1894) and Dorothy Isabel Barrett (b 1896). He was a member of the Manitoba Club and the Carleton Club. He served on the Carberry town council from 1908 to 1911 and was Mayor of Carberry from 1912 to 1917.
“Gregory Barrett to succeed Ryan,” Manitoba Free Press, 22 December 1916, page 8.
“New King’s Bench Court Judges named,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 December 1935, page 1.
Obituary, Winnipeg Free Press, 26 September 1952, page 28.
“Judge Barrett, ex-Carberry Mayor dies,” Winnipeg Free Press, 27 September 1952, page 12.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 28 October 2013
Back to top of page