Memorable Manitobans: Giorgio “George” Barone (1916-1992)
Born in Italy in 1916, he came to Winnipeg with his family in 1951, after spending ten years as a sculptor at Rome’s School of Arts. After designing plaques and figurines for a local firm and working for several years as a set designer with CBC television, he set off on his own as a sculptor. He was responsible for several monuments around Manitoba. He developed a technique for creating statues using steel rods, air-filled foam, fibreglass cloth, and colour-impregnated resin that could withstand the Canadian climate. He also worked in wood and marble. In 1970, he was awarded a Manitoba Centennial Medal by the Manitoba Historical Society.
He and wife Maria Diana “Marina” Mauro (1918-2008) had two sons and a daughter, including Ermanno Barone (1941-2014), and lived at 117 Victoria Avenue East in Transcona. They moved to Kelowna, British Columbia in 1980 and he died there on 7 December 1992. He is commemorated by George Barone Bay in Winnipeg.
Some of his works in Manitoba included:
“Italian-Canadian artist paints crucifixion tableau,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 October 1953, page 4.
“Classical sculptor shapes sand on Winnipeg Beach,” Winnipeg Free Press, 9 September 1961, page 70.
“New medium tops all says Winnipeg artist,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 July 1966, page 10.
“Sculptor Barone, 78, near death,” Winnipeg Free Press, 3 September 1992, page 40.
“Noted sculptor left mark on Manitoba,” Winnipeg Free Press, 8 December 1992, page 1.
Obituary [Mmaria Diana Barone], The Desert Sun, 30 September 2008.
Obituary [Ermanno Barone], The Desert Sun, 15-17 February 2014.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 September 2021