MHS Resources: Manitoba Bricks and Blocks: Canadian Petrified Brick and Stone Company
The Canadian Petrified Brick and Stone Company received its charter of incorporation via Letters Patent under the Manitoba Joint Stock Companies Act on 21 April 1904. The venture was founded by real estate agents Howard Adolphus Dangerfield and Arthur Macaw along with managers Albert Ryerson Bredin, Walter Joseph Cummings, and Louis Case Hazlett. It held a capital stock of $100,000 and established a presence in Winnipeg, with an office in the Union Bank Building and a brickyard off Levis Street in Elmwood. The company maintained a local presence for around a half-decade before ceasing operation.
“Western enterprises,” Manitoba Free Press, 16 May 1904, page 10.
“Pressed brick,” Manitoba Free Press, 18 August 1905, page 2.
“Plea for Elmwood,” Winnipeg Tribune, 25 April 1908, page 3.
“City Board of Control,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 October 1908, page 4.
Companies Office corporation documents (CCA 0059), 101C - Canadian Petrified Brick & Stone Company Limited, GR6427, Archives of Manitoba.
Henderson’s Winnipeg and Brandon Directories, Peel’s Prairie Provinces, University of Alberta Libraries.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 21 October 2019