Historic Sites of Manitoba: Granville School No. 1623 (RM of Lakeshore)
The Granville School District was organized formally in April 1912, named for a town in England, but a school building was not erected until two years later, on the northeast quarter of 29-22-17 west of the Principal Meridian in what is now the Rural Municipality of Lakeshore. The school closed in 1956 and the building was moved to the site of Woodbend School. A commemorative cairn at the site, topped with a metal model of the school (which was missing as of 2012), was erected in July 1987.
Among the teachers at Granville School were Jane Mabon Hamilton, Bernice Hamilton Thompson, Steve Genik (1954-1956), and Shirley Henderson (1956-1957).
“Teaching staffs named for “A” and “B” groups,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 9 September 1954, page 1.
“Record-breaking enrollments expected here in collegiate, elementary schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 1 September 1955, page 1.
“All-time high enrollments expected for town schools,” Dauphin Herald and Press, 30 August 1956, page 1.
Between Mountain and Lake: A History of Ochre River Rural Municipality, 1885-1970 by Ochre River Women’s Institute History Committee, Neepawa: The Neepawa Press, 1970, pages 28-29, 250.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 January 2017
Back to top of page