This two-storey pavilion in the International Peace Garden was built to commemorate Canada’s centenary in 1967 and Manitoba’s centenary in 1970. Designed by the Winnipeg-based architectural firm of Waisman, Ross, Blankstein, Coop, Gillmor and Hanna, the project was supervised by a committee of the Manitoba Centennial Corporation chaired by Esther Genser. Originally known as the Peace Garden Pavilion, it was renamed for the recently deceased Errick French Willis, a former Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba who had farmed in the region.
A plaque inside the pavilion, presented by the Canukeena Club of Winnipeg, commemorates the role of community activist Fred Rice in the planning and development of the Peace Garden.
Manitoba Business: Waisman Ross and Associates / Blankstein Coop Gillmore and Hanna / Number TEN Architectural Group
Memorable Manitobans: Errick French Willis (1896-1967)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: International Peace Garden
Manitoba Organization: Manitoba Centennial Corporation
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 15 May 2022
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.