Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Valley School No. 1719 (Municipality of Rossburn)

The Valley School District was organized formally in August 1913 from the consolidation of Bruan School District No. 888 and Birdtail School District No. 1263. The district was dissolved briefly in July 1914 before being reformed. A one-room schoolhouse operated at SE12-21-25W in what is now the Municipality of Rossburn. The district was finally dissolved in 1960 and its area became part of the Rossburn Consolidated School District and later the Pelly Trail School Division. No vestige of the former school remains at the site except for a commemorative sign, but the outline of its schoolyard is still faintly visible.

The teachers of Valley School were Miss Annie Sinclair (1915), Marie Melnychuk, Myrtle Dixon, William C. Kozak, Mary Craig, Elizabeth Glutyk, Annabella Hunter, Myrtle Oryniak, Grace Allen, Margaret Gibson, Mabel Fisher, Gladys Sleigh, Mrs. Caroline Leschasin, Z. Blanche Hunt, Gerald Matiation, Mary I. Hunter, Nicholas Rebinchuk, Anne Pradinuk, Anthony Swidinski, Mary J. Kereluke, William C. Kozak, Jennie Polischuk, Joseph T. Zatylny, and Mary Lesiuk.

The former site of Valley School

The former site of Valley School (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Valley School commemorative sign

Valley School commemorative sign (May 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N50.78634, W100.82197
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Glen Elmo West topographic map, 62K/15 West, Edition 1, Series A743 [Archives of Manitoba].

School District Formation Files [Valley School District No. 1719], GR1688, E0027, Archives of Manitoba.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 1 April 2021

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.