Historic Sites of Manitoba: Birdtail School No. 1263 (Municipality of Rossburn)
The Birdtail School District was organized formally in January 1904 in what is now the Municipality of Rossburn. However, it is believed that a schoolhouse was not constructed until ten years later, at SE29-20-25W . The district was dissolved in 1964 and its area became part of the Rossburn Consolidated School District and later the Pelly Trail School Division. The former school building was sold and used for a time for seed cleaning purposes. As of 2005, it was still standing but it had been burned sometime before a 2015 site visit.
Among the teachers of Birdtail School were Lillian D. Ferguson (1915), Louise Taylor (1916), Miss Cassie McKee (1916-1918), Mrs. Belcher (1920), Mrs. Crook 1922, Ann Snider (1929), Viola Rowe (1934-1935), Andrew Palmer (1935-1936), Ann Pradinuk (1936-1937), Miss Roblin, Miss Simms, Miss Cassie Pawluk, Miss Jess Peresky, Adam Juce (1942-1943), Adam Chuchmuch (1943-1944), Miss Maria Michalchuk (1944-1945), Miss Helena Hrubeniuk (1945-1946), Miss Sophie Horoshko (1946-1947), Miss Nellie Drozda (1947-1948).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 July 2015
Back to top of page