Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bruan School No. 888 (RM of Rossburn)
The Bruan School District was organized formally in June 1896 in the Rural Municipality of Rossburn and a one-room schoolhouse was constructed at NW12-20-25W, on a farm owned by Donald Sinclair. The district was named for a school in Scotland that Sinclair had attended. In 1918, it was replaced by a new school building located one mile north, at NW13-20-25W, also on land owned by Donald Sinclair. The school closed permanently in 1958 and its district was dissolved, the area becoming part of the Rossburn Consolidated School District. The former school building was sold to a local farmer and moved to his farm at NW14-20-25W where it was renovated into a private residence.
Among the teachers of the original Bruan School were Catherine Wood, Bertha Stewart, Hugh Ross, James Potter, Chrissie Kelso, Marion Storey, Winnona Easson, Gertie Winston, Georgina Crowe, Louise Beal. Teachers of the new Bruan School were Lyle Robertson, Vera Foster, Mrs. Hefferen, Dorothy Todd, Cassie McKee, Miss McLeod, William Peden, Miss Perch, Miss Thompson, Louise Ayers, Elliot Crowe, Ann Snyder, Marjorie Stevenson, Doris Broadfoot, Louise Short, Miss Geekie, Helen Zink, Mary Komhyr, Mike Tokar, Jerry Matiation, and Jean Melnyk.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
On the Sunny Slopes of the Riding Mountains, A History of Rossburn and District, Volume 1 by Rossburn History Club, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.R78 Ont]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 1 January 2015
Back to top of page