Historic Sites of Manitoba: Two Creeks School No. 339 (Municipality of Prairie View)
The Two Creek School District was formally established in what is now the Municipality of Prairie View in August 1884 and a wood frame school building was erected on the southeast quarter of 4-13-27 west of the Principal Meridian. It operated there from 1886 to 1920. A new one-room, red brick structure was erected at this site (SW3-13-27W) in 1920 and was used until August 1966 when the school closed. Since January 1959, it had been operated as part of the Miniota Municipal School District No. 149. It was commonly confused with the two-storey, two-classroom Ross Consolidated School situated close to the railway siding of Two Creeks along Highway 83. To distinguish the two schools, some sources referred to Two Creeks School as “West Two Creeks School.”
The building remained on its original site and was used occasionally as a community centre. Inside was a model of the building and a painting depicting the school in winter. Around October 2014, the municipality demolished the building. It is commemorated by a metal sign.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Steel and Grass Roots, 1882-1981: History of Elkhorn by Elkhorn and District Historical Society, pages 83-84.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 17 June 2017
Back to top of page