Historic Sites of Manitoba: Ross Consolidated School No. 1782 (Two Creeks, RM of Wallace-Woodworth)
Commonly misidentified as Two Creeks School due to its proximity to the Canadian Pacific Railway siding of Two Creeks, this school building in the Rural Municipality of Wallace-Woodworth sat atop a small hill that gave it a commanding view of the landscape in all directions. The two-storey, two-classroom brick building was initially known as Kyle School No. 1782 when it was built in early 1915 using yellow bricks made at Virden. Soon after, it was renamed Ross Consolidated School when consolidated with Ross School No. 504 (which had operated since 1887 at SE33-12-26W).
As of September 1959, high school students were bused to Virden. The school closed in August 1966 and all remaining students went to the Virden Consolidated School District No. 144. The next year, the building was purchased from the Virden School Board by the Wallace municipal council, with plans of using it as a community centre. For a few years, the building was the site of public meetings, dances, bazaars, picnics, and concerts. The school bell, estimated to weigh between 250 and 300 pounds, and mounted in a tower on top of the building, was stolen in the autumn of 1977. Eventually the building was sold into private ownership.
The building remained a conspicuous local landmark until it was destroyed by arson fire on 24 September 2017.
Some of the teachers who taught at Ross Consolidated School included Jessie Minors (1916-1917), Montague Shore (1916-1917), Alice Gerrand (1917-1919), Edith Cusack (1917-1919), Maud King (1919-1921), Miss Burris (1919-1920), Miss Brown (1919-1920), Miss Ada Pauline Herkes (1920-1921), Nora Lind (1921-1922), Mr. Slawson (1921-1922), Miss Craig (1922-1924), Miss Bridgett (1922-1924), Miss Bissett (1924-1926), John Alfred Hammond (1924-1926), Miss Shuttleworth (1926-1927), Mr. E. Heys (1926-1927), Eva Clements (1928-1930), Charles Rind (1928-1930), Miss Burns (1931-1932), Jean Talhurst (1931-1932), Miss Ruby Finkbeiner (1932-1935), Mr. Ramsay (1932-1933), Miss Nel Koester (1934-1937), Miss Gertrude Carefoot (1935-1936), Miss Skeleton (1937-1939), Miss Rust (1939-1940), Miss M. Taylor (1940-1941), Miss A. Wilman (1941-1942), Jessie McDonald (1942-1943), Florence Kyle (1942-1943), Majorie McInnis (1943-1944), Mr. Dyck (1943-1944), Miss A. Baptiste (1944-1945), Mr. L. Draper (1944-1946), Miss Coulthard (1945-1946), Audrey Gallenger (1946-1947), Eva Webster (1946-1947), Isabella M. Dryden (1947-1948), Mr. McKie (1947-1948), Hazel Dale (1948-1949), Miss Marie Nivon (1948-1949), Miss Smith (1949-1950), Mr. Thompson (1949-1950), Sophia Knowalchuk (1949-1950), Mrs. Wes Robinson (1950-1951), Mr. Kolopenuk (1950-1951), Miss Ada Dawson (1951-1952), Jo Pituley (1951-1952), Mr. D. McBean (1952-1953), Mr. Millier (1952-1953), Miss M. H. Johnston (1953-1954), Miss M. H. Johnston (1954-1955), Miss Picyk (1955-1957), Mr. Sokalski (1955-1956), Mr. Loewen (1956-1957), Diana Phelan (1957-1958), Diana Rae (1958-1959), Barbara Lindholm (1960-1962), Mrs. S. Rudneski (1962-1964), Miss Larsen (1964-1965), and Mrs. Bickford (1965-1966).
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Prairie Neighbours 1881-1981 by the Four Corners History Club. Brandon: Leech Printing, 1982.
“More free dials for phone users,” Brandon Sun, 5 April 1967, page 3.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 10 August 2018
Back to top of page