Historic Sites of Manitoba: Twin Creek School No. 2260 (RM of Hanover)
The Twin Creek School District was established formally in May 1935 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SW21-7-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its area became part of the Hanover School Division. On 9 January 1967, the building was destroyed by fire. It was not rebuilt. Instead, students were bused to Blumenort School and, a few months later, the district was formally consolidated with Blumenort. The site and teacherage were sold for $4,000. In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected at the site by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the teachers who worked at Twin Creek School were Lydia Neufeld, Vernon Toews, J. A. Guenther, Howard Reimer, ? (?-1949), Jacob M. Klassen (1949-1952), ? (1952-1961) Helmuth Klassen (?-?), Jake Klassen (?-?), Werner Rempel (1961-1963), ? (1963-1965), George K. Reimer, Alvin Neustaedter, Peter Kehler, Erika Penner, Elaine Rempel, Mary Giesbrecht, Wendy Reimer, and John Ryan “Jack” Klassen (1965-1967).
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
Manitoba School Records Collection, Twin Creek School District No. 2260 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 2 July 2018
Back to top of page