Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tummel Consolidated School No. 1319 (Tummel, Municipality of Roblin)
The Tummel Consolidated School District was established in August 1913, in Tummel district of what is now the Municipality of Roblin, through the consolidation of three smaller school districts from the surrounding area: Brook’s Grove School No. 544 (also known as Greenridge School No. 544), Stirling School No. 1208, and Fife School No. 1319 (also known as Tummel School No. 1319). The one-classroom schoolhouses from the three districts were moved to a central location when they continued to be used until 1930, when a new four-classroom wood frame and stucco structure was erected at the site. This school was used until 1967 when its district became part of the Goose Lake Consolidated School District. The building was used as a granary for a time and later demolished, and a private residence was built there. There is no commemorative monument or sign at the site of the former school. A 100th anniversary reunion was held in 2013.
The other teachers of Tummel School included, in alphabetical order: Margaret Arnott, Horace Bally, Dorothy Baxter, Phoebe Belcher, Miss Bertram, Miss Blackwell, Velma Boyd, Dolores Boyes, Winnifred Bruce, Jean Cameron, Clara Crane, Wayne Densmore, Doris Fostey, Franklin Goodwin, Anna M. Graham, Kathleen Greenaway, Margaret Hay, J. Hodgson, Mabel Johnston, Maurice P. Kalushka, Maryanne Koziejy, Mr. Legebkoff, Phyllis Lestage, Ramona Lindsay, Frances Lopston, Matilda Mitchell, C. A. Powell, M. Semenchuk, Brian Sim, Miss Stairs, Georgina Tarant, and Helena Truffyn.
Photos & Coordinates
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
A Study of Public School Buildings in Manitoba by David Butterfield, Historic Resources Branch, Manitoba Department of Culture, Heritage and Tourism, 1994, 230 pages.
Tummel’s History by Tummel 2013 Reunion Committee, 2013.
We thank Violet Joss for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 24 October 2019