Historic Sites of Manitoba: Brook’s Grove School No. 544 (Municipality of Roblin)
Known as the Greenridge School District when it was established in May 1888, it was renamed Brook’s Grove at some point in its history. A one-classroom wood frame school building operated at NE30-24-28W in the Rural Municipality of Shell River. It closed in 1913 when it consolidated with Stirling School No. 1208 and Fife School No. 1319 to form Tummel Consolidated School No. 1319. The school building was moved to Tummel where it was used until 1930, when a new, larger schoolhouse was constructed there.
The teachers of Brook’s Grove School were Miss C. Skinner (1891), Miss Jean Thom (1893), Mrs. Drummond (1894), Mr. Lewarton (1895), Miss Lewarton (1896), Miss Mitchell (1897), Miss Elliot (1898), Mr. C. Brydon (1899), Miss R. Waghorn (1900-1902), A. Van Volkenberg (1903), W. A. Cooper (1904), Miss E. Kelso (1905), Miss N. Young (1906), Miss L. Snider (1907), Miss C. Kelso (1907-1908), Mr. Mitchell, Mr. Cameron, Miss M. Johnston, and Miss L. Russell.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Tummel’s History by Tummel 2013 Reunion Committee, 2013.
We thank Violet Joss for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 3 March 2017
Back to top of page