Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 140 years

 

Pay & Donate in the MHS Online Shop

Endangered Top 10
Endangered
Top 10
2019

Manitoba History No. 89
Manitoba
History

No. 89

Summer Field Trip 2019
MHS
Summer
Field Trip

Fall Field Trip 2019
MHS
Fall
Field Trip

War Memorials in Manitoba
War
Memorials
in Manitoba

This Old Elevator
This Old
Elevator

Abandoned Manitoba
Abandoned
Manitoba

Memorable Manitobans
Memorable
Manitobans

Historic Sites of Manitoba
Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Elmhurst Golf Club / Alcrest Golf Club / Charleswood Golf Club / Tom Chester Park (William R. Clement Parkway, Winnipeg)

Link to:
Presidents | Photos & Maps | Sources

This park along the Willliam R. Clement Parkway between Charleswood and St. James in Winnipeg occupies the former site of the Charleswood Golf Club where Thomas P. Chester was the resident professional from 1932 to 1974. A monument near a pond in the park commemorates him.

Before the golf club was established, the property was owned by Mr. Haney, for whom the nearby Haney Street is named. Around August 1909, the Winnipeg Golf Club (WGC) began to acquire and develop the 120-acre site. With construction started by 1912, the WCG moved its headquarters and primary operations to the Birds Hill area of the Rural Municipality of Springfield. The WGC named this subdivision of their club “Alcrest” and put the entire area, subdivided into housing lots, up for sale through the Hall Company Limited. Within two years, the site opened under the banner of the Elmhurst Golf Club (EGC). Though the clubhouse was unfinished, the completed course was opened formally at a ceremony on 25 May 1914. The entrance was at the corner of Roblin Boulevard and Haney Street.

Operations continued here temporarily while the EGC completed an 18-hole course on property newly acquired, also in the Birds Hill area. Golf under the Alcrest name continued until 1920 when a separate organization known as the Alcrest Golf Club (AGC) was founded. The AGC and Alcrest name were attached to site site until 1937, when the operating entity was renamed to the Charleswood Golf Club. The grounds featured a 9-hole course with 18 tee boxes.

In 1968, the City of Winnipeg purchased the club’s property for $325,000 and leased it back to them on an ongoing basis. With construction work beginning in October 2001, the site’s destruction was underway by April 2002, coinciding with, though unrelated to, the death of Tom Chester. A $9-million extension of Moray Street known as the Charleswood Parkway was opened officially with a ribbon-cutting ceremony on 24 September 2002. The Parkway is flanked by a large park made from the former fairways. In May 2010, the street infrastructure was renamed in commemoration of William Ralph “Bill” Clement by City By-Law No. 64/2010.

Presidents

Period

President

1920-?

J. D. Lawson

?-1922

?

1922-1926

Walter J. Faulkner

1926-1928

Luther Judge “Lou” Rumford (1875-1929)

1928-1930

?

1930-1931

Thomas Coulling

1931-1934

?

1934-1935

I. O. “Tony” Mahon

1935-1937

J. W. Bringhurst

1937-1938

J. H. Stafford

1938-1940

Sam Macky

1940-1944

?

1944-1945

Cliff Dixon

1945-1946

Jim Slattery

1946-1947

Cliff Dixon

1947-1949

?

1949-1950

Jack S. Lytle

1950-2000

?

2000

Dewar McKinnon

Photos & Maps

Tom Chester Monument

Tom Chester commemorative monument on the former grounds of the Charleswood Golf Club (October 2014)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.86513, W97.26745
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Memorable Manitobans: Thomas Percy “Tom” Chester (1904-2002)

Sources:

“The Winnipeg Golf Club, Limited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 5 August 1909, page 4.

“Winnipeg Golf Club Limited,” Winnipeg Tribune, 13 August 1909, page 7.

“Golf season will open in few days,” Winnipeg Tribune, 27 April 1912, page 6.

“Alcrest,” Winnipeg Tribune, 4 May 1912, page 12.

“Officers elected by new golf club,” Manitoba Free Press, 7 April 1914, page 36.

“Elmhurst Golf Club is formally opened,” Manitoba Free Press, 26 May 1914, page 7.

“370 Winnipeg golf players now in khaki,” Winnipeg Tribune, 28 April 1917, pages 27 & 28.

“Elmhurst Golf Club,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 September 1917, page 6.

“New Golf Club takes over Alcrest course,” Manitoba Free Press, 28 January 1920, page 14.

“Alcrest Golf Club is live organization,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 April 1920, page 29.

“Col. Bogey beaten at Alcrest Golf Course,” Manitoba Free Press, 10 May 1920, page 12.

“Golf enthusiast,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 November 1923, page 21.

“Alcrest Golf Club obtains property,” Winnipeg Tribune, 24 January 1924, page 6.

“Alcrest Golf Club is busy,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 December 1924, page 12.

“Alcrest Golf Club head looks for big season,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 March 1926, page 14.

“Alcrest Golf Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 May 1926, page 14.

“At the Alcrest Golf Club annual field day,” Winnipeg Tribune, 6 October 1926, page 21.

“Alcrest Golf Club meets,” Winnipeg Tribune, 29 November 1926, page 15.

“Lou Rumford is golf president,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 November 1927, page 16.

“Thos. Coulling Alcrest head,” Winnipeg Tribune, 15 February 1930, page 20.

“Norwood Golf Club has unique distinction,” Winnipeg Tribune, 1 August 1931, page 19.

[Photo caption, I.O. Mahon], Winnipeg Tribune, 21 April 1934, page 22.

“Alcrest Golf Club prepares for season,” Winnipeg Tribune, 8 March 1934, page 13.

“Alcrest names Mahon again,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 February 1935, page 26.

“J. W. Bringhurst heads Alcrest Golfing Club,” Winnipeg Tribune, 30 November 1935, page 35.

“Court dismisses action against Alcrest Golf Course,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 May 1936, page 3.

“Alcrest Club holds session,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 November 1936, page 27.

“New Charleswood Golf Club names Officers,” Winnipeg Tribune, 22 March 1937, page 16.

“Charleswood course members hear reports,” Winnipeg Tribune, 18 February 1939, page 25.

“Charleswood golfers elect Cliff Dixon,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 November 1946, page 18.

“C’wood golfers pick Jack Lytle,” Winnipeg Tribune, 17 December 1949, page 23.

“West link of beltway seems final,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1968, page 1.

“West link of beltway seems set,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 September 1968, page 2.

“Golf,” Winnipeg Free Press Winnipeg Homes and Lifestyles, 2 March 1996, page 52.

“Traffic plan raises fears,” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 April 1997, page A4.

“Road extension plan threat to green space,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 October 2000, page A15.

“Park heals old wounds,” Winnipeg Free Press, 23 September 2002, page A3.

“Green space named for a man who knew greens,” Winnipeg Free Press, 19 August 2003, page 46.

“In other council news,” Winnipeg Free Press, 20 May 2010, page A3.

“Take notice that [William R. Clement Parkway],” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 2010, page B5.

This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer and Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 25 December 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2019 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.