Historic Sites of Manitoba: Tilston School No. 1437 (Tilston, Municipality of Two Borders)
The Eagleton Consolidated School District was established formally in August 1907 and, in 1908, a temporary classroom was built at this site in the village of Eagleton, as the village of Tilston (in what is now the Municipality of Two Borders) was known at that time. The village was renamed the following year, but the school name remained unchanged. In January 1910, the original building was replaced by a two-storey, two-room brick veneer structure, built on a stone basement on a two-acre property at a cost of $7,000. Accommodating students in grades 1 to 11, it became Tilston Consolidated School in 1920. The present one-storey, four-room school was built in 1947, on a design by Winnipeg architect E. Fitz Munn, and the old building was demolished.
Over time, as student enrollment declined, grades were closed: grade 11 in June 1963, grades 9 and 10 in June 1966, and grades 7 and 8 in June 1968. The school was taken over by the Antler River School Division in January 1968. By June 1987, there were 17 students from Kindergarten to grade 6 and the school was finally closed.
A commemorative monument (with the original school bell) and replica of the former school building were erected during a reunion held on 5 August 1990. The school building stands vacant, containing scattered household items.
Eagleton School (1908-1919): Miss Lilly LaPointe (1908), Miss Myrtle Shaw (1909-1910), George Edgerton Snider (1911), George W. Hurst (1912-1913), Clarence Moore (1913-1914), Charles M. Hoar (1914-1915), Miss Hamlin (1915, 1917), J. G. Herkes (1915-1916), Miss Olga Clee (1916-1917), J. B. Saunderson (1917), Leon Nichols (1917), Janet More (1917-1919), and Leon Nichols (1918-1919).
Tilston Consolidated School (1920-?): Leon L. Nichol (1920), Janet More (1920), Janet Brown (1921), E. Pearl McDonald (1921-1922, 1927-1930), Elvira Collen (1921, 1927-1928), Jean Brown (1922-1923), Gertrude McRae (1922-1925), Wilda Manson (1922), Lena Morden (1922-1925), Doris Bulloch (1925-1926), Violet Kerr (1925-1927), Florence Taylor (1926), Ethel Robertson (1926-1927), Ruby Wood (1926-1927), Ida Jane Finnan (1926-1927), Gladys Muir (1927-1928), Donna Mae Curry (1928), Anne Mary Smith (1928), Mae Berry (1929), Pearl Riddell (1929-1934), Edna Sheir (1929-1934), Ruth Bradley (1930-1931), Ted Armstrong (1932-1934), Gertrude Dobbyn (1933-1937), Edith King (1934-1936), May Pollock (1937-1939), Frances Peacock (1937-1940), Harold A. Mouritsen (1939-1940), Jean Armstrong (1941-1942), Janet Wilson (1941-1942), William McMurchy (1941-1942), Elsie Stowe (1942-1943), Mary Graham (1942-1943), Jean E. Donald (1944-1946), Marie Brydon (1944-1946), Marjorie Spencer (1946-1950), Gwen Tooth (1946-1950), Betty Munro (1946-1950), Ellen Schellenbergh (1946-1950), Mary Thomas (1946-1950), Georgene Lucy (1960), Hazel Adams (1960), Lila Garrett (1960), Berna Adamson (1960), Betty Birch (1960), Lila Wheelans (1962-1963), C. W. Anderson (1962-1963), Robert Krein (1962-1963), Lynn Switzer (1963-1967), Marian Switzer (1963-1967), Grace Nolan (1963-1965), Lila Wheelans (1963-1965), Lorraine Pelletier (1963-1965), Gertrude Bateman (1963-1970), Joyce Marcino (1963-1965), Glenn Tweed (1963-1965), Hazel Lamport (1965-1967), Mike Gavezer (1965-1967), Mary Chalmers (1965-1967), Grace Hall (1965-1970), Ruth Land (1968-1970), R. W. Huestis, W. F. Dzadow, Beatrice Siska, John Albrecht, Denise Olivier, Mrs. Ann Careme, Mrs. Velma MacDonald, Olga Zemlack, M. Lysack, Miss McQuaig, Mrs. Hutton, Mrs. Metcalfe, Eugene Burtnyk, Loretta Berkis, Valerie Smith, Sheila Clark, Ted Allan, Beverley Redshaw, Movis Halls, Darcie Herbert, Miss J. Gibb, and Beth Curtis.
Photos & Maps
Consolidation of Rural Schools in Manitoba, Special Report of the Department of Education for the Year 1912, Manitoba Legislative Library.
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Reflections of Time: A History of the RM of Albert by RM of Albert History Book, 1984. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.A43 Ref]
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 December 2017
Back to top of page