Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 138 years

 


MHS
Events


Fall
Field Trip:
Ukrainian
Settlement


Manitoba
History

No. 83


This Old
Grain
Elevator


Abandoned
Manitoba


War
Memorials
in Manitoba


Digitized
Local History
Books


Memorable
Manitobans


Historic Sites
of Manitoba

Historic Sites of Manitoba: St. Eustache School No. 943 (St. Eustache, RM of Cartier)

Link to:
Principals | Vice-Principals | Teachers | Photos & Maps | Sources

The St. Eustache School District No. 943 was formally established in May 1898 by Judge Prud’homme but it was apparently operating as early as 1896, with 118 children of school age with 84 registered with Fortunate Létourneau as teacher. The first school, built in 1897, was a large square building with four classrooms. In 1940, with increased enrolment, the house belonging to a Mr. Benoit was purchased and moved between the larger school and convent, and used for the primary grades. In 1948, the present school building, with ten classrooms, was built by the town carpenter, Albert Gauvin, with community help. By 1961, eight classrooms were in use.

In June 1962, St. Eustache School, Baie St. Paul East School, Baie St. Paul West School, and Chabot School were merged to form the St. Eustache Consolidated School No. 2409. In 1967, the school was dissolved and became part of the White Horse Plain School Division No. 20. In 1969, grade 7 and 8 students were moved to St. Paul’s Collegiate in Elie. In 1978, St. Eustache School became a French Immersion facility for the southern part of the school division. A new gymnasium was completed on the north end of the school and it was officially opened in November 1984. By 1998, the school had an enrollment of 160 students from Kindergarten to grade 6, with nine teachers, a resource teacher, and principal.

Principals

Period

Principal

1948-1951

Sister M. St. Aloysius

1951-1953

Sister M. Jean d’Avila

1953-1955

Sister Eleanor Page

1955-1956

Sister Mary St. Jude

1956-1957

Sister Mary St. Adele

1957-1961

St. M. St. Oliva

?

Leona Florence Desrochers Painchaud (1938-2014)

Teachers

Period

Teachers

1898-1905

J. L. Létourneau, Vera M. Rhéaume, Ed. P. de la Forest, Miss H. Beaudin, Elodie Lacerte, Sarah McDougall, Athala Bonneau, Léocadie Leseur, M. E. Pitcher, Philomène Monchaux, Angèle Nuns

1905-1932

P. Monchaux, Marie Fatrigeon, M. A. Grimley, Thérèse Brun, A. Briscoe, Angèle Nuns, A. G. Werquin, J. Barnabé, Rose Alma Dandeneau, Bertha Cadieux, Bertha Todd, M. St. Camille, Sr. M. St. Angelo, Sr. M. St. Suzanne, Mary Meade, Phyllis Richardson, A. Richardson, Sr. B. Ramsay, Estelle Boyer

1932-1944

Martha M. Brunet, Sr. Mary Agnes, Sr. B. Ramsay, T. C. Brun, M. St. Léo, Sr. M. St. Allard, Sr. Réné, Sr. M. St. Isabelle, Sr. M. St. Marcel, Sr. St. Camille, R. A. Dandeneau, Marie Perron, Sr. Rosaline, Sr. Aloysius, Sr. M. St. André, Sr. M. St. Louise, Sr. M. Henriette

1945-1959

Sr. M. J. Avila, Sr. Mary Séraphin, Sr. M. St. Barnabé, Marie St. Germaine, Georgette Bissonnette, Sr. M. Ste. Adelaide, Sr. M. St. Marcel, Françoise Damphousse, Sr. M. Ste. Henri, Miss E. Lussier, M. C. de Moissac, M. Léo, Sr. M. St. Thaddeus, Sr. St. Yvonne, Sr. St. Aloysius, Christianne de Moissac, Gertrude Gisèle Lussier, Sr. M. St. Isabelle, Sr. B. Ramsay, Irène Léona Brière, Andrée Valcourt, Emérence V. Valcourt, Sr. M. St. Norbert, Charles A. Halpin, M. St. Ménard, Pauline A. Lachance, Florence Hogue, Marie René, Annette M. Desrosiers, Thérèse Aubin, Sr. M. Ste. Isabelle, C. B. Clément, Angéline Y. Kerbrat, Gidéon Trudeau, Sr. E. Pagé, Evéline Nault, Angèle Arnould, Irène Arnould, Laura M. Godin, Sr. Mary St. Jude, Sr. M. St. Jules, Yvette A. Perreault, Odette Lachance (Beaudin), Sr. Mary St. Adèle, Sr. Marie St. Gabriel, Sr. M. Ste. Denise, Marianne Riese, Lionel Fréchette, Mrs. A. Ménard, Hervé Marion, Sr. M. Ste. Denise, C. Cloutier

1960-1962

Jeannette Lachance, Marie Ange Vermette, Laura M. Godin, Paul E. Carrière, Sr. Marie Assomption, Jeannine Fillion, Claudette Nolette (Baril), Irène E. Cop, Lorraine Gevaert, Lucienne Tougas, Mrs. Odette Beaudin, Paul Baril, Sr. M. St. Gabriel, Olivier Beaudette

1963-1983

Sr. M. St. Gabriel, Sr. Marie Assomption, Claudette Nolette, Lucienne Tougas, Oliver Beaudette, Paul Baril, P. E. Carrière, Sr. Marie St. Thaddeus, Odette Beaudin, Léona Painchaud, Myron Yakimischak, Guy Lachance, Louis J. Régnier, C. Baril, Marie St. Jeanne, Sylvia Allard, Monique Allard, Benno Klaassen, Peter Susky, Estelle Rivard, Sr. Bernadette (Florence Fillion), Ellen Finnegan, H. Dufresne, Sr. Rose A. Belisle, Mrs. N. Jubinville, A. Jubinville, Bernard Balcaen, Sr. M. Beaucage, Diane Nadeau Désilets, Sr. Diane Belisle, Gisèle Lapierre, G. Pantel, Odile Bourrier, St. Y. Gervais, Marie Saquet, Denise Fayment, Lucie Balbo, hul Deschênes, T. R. Bellamy, Raymond Painchaud, Michael O'Brian, Myrna McKay, R. A. Champagne, Thérèse Paulhus, Yvonne Fleury, Ann Lacroix, Michelle Beaudin, A. Saugé, Gilles J. Jubert, H. Tiudel, E. Bosc, C. Briand, Irène Girard

Photos & Maps

St. Eustache School

St. Eustache School (no date) by E. D. Parker
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 27.

St. Eustache School

St. Eustache School monument (2010)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Location (lat/long): N49.97379, W97.78120
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 April 2015

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Search Tips | Suggest a Site | FAQ | Acknowledgements

Send inquiries to the MHS Webmaster.

Back to top of page

   


To report an error on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations Policy

© 1998-2017 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.