Historic Sites of Manitoba: Chabot School No. 2247 (RM of Cartier)
Known as Laurier School No. 2 when it first began operating, in August 1918 it became Allarie School No. 2 of the Allarie School District. The Chabot School District, named for local settler Louis Chabot, was established formally in July 1934 and a one-room schoolhouse and small teacherage operated at SE7-12-3W in the Rural Municipality of Cartier. The school closed in 1962. The following year, the district was dissolved and its catchment area was added to the St. Eustache Consolidated School District and later the White Horse Plain School Division.
Among the teachers of Chabot School were George Coriveau, Frances Tobin, S. McDougall, J. B. Coté, H. Létourneau, M. T. McDonell, Virginie Paradis (1910), Rosa Richard, Azélia Richard, Rose Anna Perras, Rebecca McDonell (1918), Mrs. O’Connor (1921), Albertine Grouette, Aurore Cormier, Marie Jeanne Pelletier, Marie Antoinette de Margerie (1926), Bernice Lynch (1931), Lilliane Bergeron, Thérèse Sabourin, Rita M. Robert (1934), Anne M. James (1937), Eva Girouard (1939), Antoinette Dupuis (1943), Alma Laurin (1946), Lucille Manaigre (1947), Hortense Lahaie (1948), Germaine Gauthier (1949), Simone Beaudin (1950), Jean Charles Campeau (1951), Thérèse Sabourin (1952), Jeannine Carrière (1953), Jeannine Larivière (1954), Gisèle Houde (1956), Anita Ducharme (1957), Cécile Comte (1958), Lorraine Pinette (1960), Rachelle Beaudry (1961), and Eveline Chabot (1962).
Elie East topographic map, 62H/13, Edition 2, Series A743 [UFS Reference Collection].
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Treasures of Time: The Rural Municipality of Cartier, 1914-1984 by RM of Cartier, c1985. [Legislative Library of Manitoba, F5648.C37 Tre]
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 21 April 2015
Back to top of page