A two-storey brick building at the south-east corner of Eleventh Street and Louise Avenue in Brandon was built as the residence for John E. Smith, a well-known local farmer and horse breeder. From the 1950s until 1984, it housed the Brandon Allied Art Centre. Since then it has served as a community group home, the Welcome Inn. It on a Significant Buildings List pending evaluation by the Brandon Municipal Heritage Advisory Committee.
Memorable Manitobans: John E. Smith (1849-1919)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Smith House (322 Eveline Street, Selkirk)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Smith House (111 Park Boulevard, Winnipeg)
Historic Sites of Manitoba: Smith House (119 West Gate, Winnipeg)
This page was prepared by George Penner.
Page revised: 20 May 2019
Back to top of page
Historic Sites of Manitoba
This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.
SEARCH the collection
Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other
Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.
Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.