Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Sarto School No. 1539 (RM of Hanover)

The Sarto School District was established in April 1910 and a one-room schoolhouse operated at SE10-5-6E in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1968, the district was dissolved and its catchment area became part of the Hanover School Division. The former school building was sold for $250 and its teacherage and site were sold for $85. The school’s concrete foundation remained at the time of a 2015 site visit. A commemorative sign was erected in 2005-2006 by Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk (1939-2006) and the District School Heritage Association.

The teachers who worked at Sarto School included Michael Karalash (1920-1921), G. G. Stonehouse (1921-1922), J. G. Paterson (1922), S. J. Weatherley (1923), P. S. Guenther (1923), Annie Porayko (1923-1924), Josephine B. Rudneski [Rudniski] (1924-1925), John Frank Boitson (1925-1928), Nicholas Andrusko (1928-1930 and night school), William Tanchak (1930-1932), Jacob W. Rempel (1932-1935), Emil Joseph Borsa (1935-1939), Paul Harry Rudiak (1939-1940), Maurice Karalnick (1940-1941), Lula Ironstar Squire (1941-1942), Donald A. Loewen (1942-1943), Anne Chubaty (1943-1945), Harry Ladobruk (1945-1946), Frank Corkal (1946-1947), John Klassen (1947-1948), Ellen Ward (1948-1949), Olga Slotiuk (1949-1950, 1950, 1965-1968), Isaac J. Warkentin (1950), Joanna Skarkun (1950-1951), William Kowalchuk (1951-1958), Bennie Shuvera (1958-1959), and Walter Bugera (1959-1965).

Sarto School

Sarto School (no date) by A. A. Herriot
Source: Archives of Manitoba, School Inspectors Photographs,
GR8461, A0233, C131-2, page 136.

Sarto School

Sarto School (c1968)
Source: Archives of Manitoba, Manitoba School Records Collection, GR2656, Hanover School Division Collection #84, Series 2, Sarto School District #1539.

Foundation of the former Sarto School building

Foundation of the former Sarto School building (November 2020)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Sarto School commemorative sign

Sarto School commemorative sign (November 2020)
Source: Rose Kuzina

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.37033, W96.70281
denoted by symbol on the map above

Sources:

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.

Obituary [John Frank Boitson], Winnipeg Free Press, 14 March 1968, page 33.

Obituary [Bohdan “Bob” Osadchuk], Winnipeg Free Press, 26 January 2006.

Manitoba School Records Collection, Sarto School District No. 1539 - Daily Registers, GR2656, Archives of Manitoba.

We thank Glen Klassen (EastMenn Historical Society) for providing information used here.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough, Nathan Kramer, Rose Kuzina, and Ernest Braun.

Page revised: 20 November 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep
history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.