MHS Online Fundraising Auction: 21 -28 September 2022

MHS Smarty Party: 20 October 2022

Manitoba Historical Society
     Keeping history alive for over 143 years


Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rugby School No. 272 (RM of Elton)

The Rugby School District was organized formally in June 1884 and a wood-frame, one-room schoolhouse operated at SE34-11-19W in the Rural Municipality of Elton as of 1883. A trail between Brandon and Rapid City, over which mail was transported twice each week, passed right in front of the school. The building was also used for Presbyterian church services. In 1932, a pressing need for a high school resulted in the opening of Rugby High School in the nearby village of Forrest, which was part of the school district. The original Rugby School closed in 1964 and the building was renovated into a private residence. It is commemorated at the site by a monument.

The teachers of Rugby School were Miss Bessie McNab, J. Boyd Morrison, Miss Mabel Rogbers, Mr. Dorrance, Miss Mabel Kilfoyle, Miss Jessie Grant, Miss Marguerite Merrell, Miss Katie Cookman, Miss Mabel Forsyth, Miss Ella Middleton, Miss Muriel Bromley, Miss Myrtle Smeltz, Miss M. Patterson, Miss Grace Gill, Miss Dolly Slator, Miss Helen Wagner, Miss Freda Williams, Miss Bernice Johnson, Miss Margaret Zacharay, Mrs. N. Tivey, Miss Mary Barnard, Miss Grant, Miss Blanche Towell, Mrs. C. Mansfield, Mrs. C. Ferguson, Mrs. B. P. Milne, Mrs. R. E. Congram, Miss Helen McFarlane, and Mrs. Phyllis, Berner.

Rugby School

Rugby School (circa 1905)
Source: Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

Rugby School commemorative monument

Rugby School commemorative monument (June 2011)
Source: Gordon Goldsborough

Site Coordinates (lat/long): N49.96045, W99.98084
denoted by symbol on the map above

See also:

Historic Sites of Manitoba: Rugby High School / Elton Collegiate (Forrest, RM of Elton)

Sources:

Homesteaders and Homemakers: A History of Elton Municipality in its First Century by Elton Historical Committee, 1973. [Manitoba Legislative Library, F5648.E48 Hom]

One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.

This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.

Page revised: 21 April 2020

Historic Sites of Manitoba

This is a collection of historic sites in Manitoba compiled by the Manitoba Historical Society.

Browse lists of:
Museums/Archives | Buildings | Monuments | Cemeteries | Locations | Other

Please note that inclusion in this collection does not mean that a particular site has special status or protection. Some sites are on private property and permission must be secured from the owner prior to visiting.

Site information is provided by the Manitoba Historical Society as a free public service only for non-commercial purposes.


Send corrections and additions to this page
to the MHS Webmaster at webmaster@mhs.mb.ca.

Search Tips | Suggest an Historic Site | FAQ

Help us keep history alive!

MHS YouTube Channel

Back to top of page

For queries on the above page, please contact the MHS Webmaster.

Home  |  Terms & Conditions  |  FAQ  |  Contact Us  |  Privacy Policy  |  Donations

© 1998-2022 Manitoba Historical Society. All rights reserved.