Historic Sites of Manitoba: R. H. G. Bonnycastle School (1100 Chancellor Drive, Winnipeg)
Built in 1978-1979, this Fort Garry School Division facility was named for Richard Henry Gardyne Bonnycastle, first Chairman of Metropolitan Corporation of Greater Winnipeg. The school was based on designs of architect Jim Yamashita, of the Ikoy Partnership, and built by the Gateway Construction Company Limited at a cost of around $1.8 million. It opened its doors to students of elementary grade in the fall of 1979 and was dedicated in his honour on 28 November 1979. The school is now part of the Pembina Trails School Division. Located adjacent to the school is Thelma J. Call Park, named in commemoration of the school’s first Principal.
Photos & Maps
“Tender notice - Bonnycastle Elementary School [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 4 March 1978, page 77.
“Board awards contract for Bonnycastle School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 13 April 1978, page 42.
“R. H. G. Bonnycastle Elementary School,” Winnipeg Free Press, 25 August 1979, page 9.
“Fort Garry School Division No. 5 [...],” Winnipeg Free Press, 14 October 1979, page 21.
“Bonnycastle School dedicated,” Winnipeg Free Press, 29 November 1979, page 49.
School division half-yearly attendance reports (Schedule E 0757), Archives of Manitoba.
R. H. G. Bonnycastle School, Pembina Trails School Division.
We thank Steven Christianson for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Nathan Kramer.
Page revised: 20 October 2018