Historic Sites of Manitoba: Randolph School No. 1964 (Randolph, RM of Hanover)
The Randolph School District was established by the provincial government in April 1919, replacing private German-languate schools that had operated in the area for many years. The following year, a school building on the southeast quarter of 10-7-5 east of the Principal Meridian in the Rural Municipality of Hanover opened for classes, with J. F. Greenway as the provincially-appointed trustee. He was replaced by a locally-elected board in 1948.
A new school building was erected in 1960 and, with growing enrollment, a second classroom was created in its basement for the 1964-65 school year. The district was dissolved in January 1968 when the school became part of the Hanover Unitary School Division. It closed in June 1972, after which students were bused to Bothwell School or Kleefeld School. The former school building, its teacherage, and the 1.5-acre site were sold. In 2013, a commemorative sign at the site was erected by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Other teachers who worked at Randolph School include George F. Wiebe (1920-1921), Peter S. Guenther (1921-1922), Peter J. B. Reimer (1922-1923, 1928-1935), John S. Guenther (1924-1925), Tien Derksen (1925), Catherine Derksen (1925-1926), Lily Gertzen (1926-1928), Jacob P. Rempel (1935-1939, 1944-1945), Cornelius Gerhard “Neil” Unruh (1939-1944), Jacob J. Wedel (1945-1953), John Martens (1953-1954), Henry P. Giesbrecht (1954-1955), Alvin Henry Neustaedter (1955-1957), Benno R. Klassen (1957-1959), and Siegfried Paul William Grosse (1959-1964).
Photos & Coordinates
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 30 December 2019