Historic Sites of Manitoba: Bothwell School No. 1961 (New Bothwell, RM of Hanover)
The Bothwell School District was formed in 1919 and the first one-room school was built in 1920, in the Rural Municipality of Hanover. In 1942, another classroom was added. This school was destroyed by fire during the 1944-45 school term. A two-room school was constructed on the same yard and, in 1953, two classrooms were added. Bothwell kept its school during the consolidations of the 1960s, eventually becoming part of the Hanover Unitary School Division. A new six-room school was built in 1972 and the old school was sold. In 1983, the school was expanded to its present size to accommodate classes from kindergarten to grade nine.
In 2013, a commemorative sign was erected by the EastMenn Historical Society.
Among the teachers who worked at Bothwell School between 1919 and 1939 were Ed Friesen, Henry Wiebe, Bernhard Schellenberg, William Hoeppner, Peter H. Funk, Mary Friesen, Jacob Rempel, and Peter Wiebe. One from 1939 to 1968 were Dietrich Penner, Elizabeth Reimer, Betty Falk, Vernon Reimer, E. Schroeder, Hilda Dyck, J. D. Hildebrand, Carol Joyal, Katherine Peters, Francis Schroeder, Neil Goertzen, Jessie Peters, J. D. Pauls, Frank Dyck, Agnes Wieler, P. J. Loewen, Nettie Loewen, Agnes Wiebe, John Rempel, Mary Dueck, Ruth Falk, Anne Hiebert, Lydia Regehr, Clifford Reimer, Andrew Sobering, Peter T. Wiebe, Linda Suderman, Margaret Reimer, A. P. Toews, Nettie Penner, Bert Suss, Adina Klassen, and Aaron Hildebrand.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
One Hundred Years in the History of the Rural Schools of Manitoba: Their Formation, Reorganization and Dissolution (1871-1971) by Mary B. Perfect, MEd thesis, University of Manitoba, April 1978.
Schools - Our Heritage: From 46 School Districts to Hanover Unitary School Division (1878-1968) by John K. Schellenberg, The Board of The Hanover School Division No. 15, May 1985, ISBN 0-919673-93-7.
We thank Glen Klassen and Ernest Braun of the EastMenn Historical Society for providing information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough.
Page revised: 18 October 2015
Back to top of page