Historic Sites of Manitoba: Prince Edward School (649 Brazier Street, Winnipeg)
This one-storey red brick structure was constructed in 1920, named after Prince Edward who later became King Edward VIII. On its back side were separate entrances for girls and boys, although the latter has been covered by a later addition to the building. The single-storey, red brick structure had eight classrooms (later expanded to 18) and a dedicated nurse’s room, the first school in the province to do so, and purportedly the first on the continent. The building was completed and furnished at a cost of around $60,000 and had capacity for 300 students.
Prince Edward School was opened officially on 20 October 1920 by Minister of Education R. S. Thornton at a ceremony also attended by Provincial Secretary J. W. Armstrong, School Board Chairman Hugh McNair, Rev. H. J. Robertson of John Black Memorial Presbyterian Church, and Rev. J. A. Shirley of St. Stephen’s Anglican Church. Until the opening of the school, students from the area were distributed between other nearby schools: Polson School (Grades 1-3), Lord Wolseley School (Grade 4 in the auditorium, Grade 6 in the basement), and Lord Kitchener School (Grade 5). Classes in the new building began on 21 October 1920.
Among the other teachers at Prince Edward School was George Frith.
Photos & Coordinates
“New school to be open Sept. 1,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 August 1921, page 6.
“Thornton will open East Kildonan School,” Winnipeg Tribune, 16 October 1920, page 14.
“Open school in East Kildonan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 20 October 1920, page 3.
“Kildonan school has first room for nurse,” Winnipeg Tribune, 21 October 1920, page 3.
“New East Kildonan school opened,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 October 1920, page 7.
“East Kildonan boasts of fine schools,” Winnipeg Tribune, 23 September 1922, page 19.
“East Kildonan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 14 April 1921, page 3.
“East Kildonan,” Winnipeg Tribune, 31 August 1921, page 6.
“School crowded; more room and teacher needed,” Winnipeg Tribune, 7 September 1922, page 5.
“East Kildonan school bell to call scholars Sept. 6,” Winnipeg Free Press, 24 August 1949, page 3.
We thank Jim Smith for providing additional information used here.
Page revised: 21 August 2020