Historic Sites of Manitoba: Lord Kitchener School / John Pritchard School (1490 Henderson Highway, Winnipeg)
One of three schools built in this area in 1915, along with Lord Wolseley School and Salisbury School, this school was built at a cost of $75,000, on property purchased from market gardener Herbert Whellams that had previously belonged to pioneer John Pritchard. It was known originally as Lord Kitchener School when it opened on 1 September 1915, in recognition of British military commander Horatio Herbert Kitchener (1850-1916). Suffering from low student enrollment, the school closed after a single year of operation, with students going to Lord Wolseley School one mile south of its location. It reopened the following year and has remained openly continously ever since.
A large addition was made to the school in 1967, including a two-storey wing of classrooms (known as Manitoba Hall), a gymnasium/auditorium, and audiovisual room. Around this time, the school was renamed John Pritchard School in recognition of Pritchard’s pioneering role in the education of children at the Red River Settlement. More expansion occurred in 1975 with the addition of two science rooms and a laboratory, industrial arts shop, music room, multipurpose room, and custodial room. Another wing, named Jackson Hall in honour of the school’s first Principal, was added in 1985.
Photos & Maps
Annual Reports of the Manitoba Department of Education, Manitoba Legislative Library.
1915 - Lord Kitchener School - Winnipeg MB, Dated Buildings and Cornerstones, Waymarking.
We thank Nathan Kramer for providing additional information used here.
This page was prepared by Gordon Goldsborough and Peter McLure.
Page revised: 18 March 2017
Back to top of page